Most folks don’t know that Filson offers a custom order service. If you like a specific Filson garment, you can request a customized version in a different fabric w/limited pocketing or pattern edits. In effect, you can create your own one-off, “Filson x you” collaboration (although the customer care page warns that they cannot create entirely new patterns). In addition to current styles, Filson can also make many discontinued garments. For gents, I’d recommend ordering the classic cruiser jacket in original whipcord fabric (forestry cloth not available). Wait time is about 2 months and surcharge can be up to 50% of the original retail price.
From the Filson site, here is the inventory of possible changes.
- Extra long and short sizes (many coats and jackets)
- Larger and smaller sizes (most garments)
- Longer legs (pants, bibs and chaps)
- Longer rise (all pants, bibs and shorts)
- One arm or leg longer
- All belts longer or shorter
- Substitute snaps instead of buttons or vice versa (many coat and vests)
- Left hand shooting patch (hunting garments)
- Different colors and weights of wool (coats and pants)
- Many Tin Cloth and Shelter Cloth garments are available in either fabric in Dry or Oil Finish
- Shorter handles on all luggage styles with handles. Different strap lengths too.
- Footwear in additional widths, larger and smaller sizes
- We can produce many discontinued Filson garments
Here are two custom orders I’ve placed in the last two years.
Here is an example of the limits of the custom order program.
Wool whipcord work jacket